Many people head straight to their bank when it comes time to apply for a home loan, but finance experts warn, you may be missing out on significant benefits if you do.
There are countless reasons why it pays to use a broker when shopping for your home loan, and even if you want to use your own bank for your mortgage, you can still use a mortgage broker to process paperwork and manage the application on your behalf.
Listed below are five arguments as to why every borrower should seek out a qualified mortgage broker when trying to obtain property finance:
1. Choice – The biggest advantage of a broker over a bank is that you can choose. With a broker you are sitting in front of 10+ banks and 50+ products versus visiting a banker who has access to only their products. This is especially important at time like now, when the banks are saying ‘no’ more, and by having more choices you’re likely to get a ‘yes’.”
2. Experience – Ask your lending manager how long they’ve been helping people with home loans. Brokers often own their own businesses and are committed to their clients in the long term, with many years of industry experience. Banks are big companies; they move their staff around and reward good performers with promotions away from their customers.
3. Specialisation – If you’re looking for specialised assistance with your loan, it pays to talk to a specialised broker. For example if you’re starting property investing, look for a broker who specialises in property investors. Bank staff often don’t have the training or experience in one area, but service whoever happens to walk in to the branch.
4. Follow Up – Following up the progress of your loan application is time consuming and frustrating. A good mortgage broker will have a system for chasing you up, keeping you informed and saving you time.
5. Personal Banker – Your mortgage broker is like the perfect personal banker. They know what needs to be done, they make sure it happens and because it’s their own business, they’re in for the long haul. Bank staff change often so even when you find a good personal banker they change jobs before you know it.